Thursday 26 February 2009

Why you pointing that camera in my face?




Street photography is something that has captured my interest of late, I think the ability to capture that moment in time and be right in there with life when you take the shot is something really intriguing.




Having looked at some of the excellent work in Nottingham by Stephen Wright I am quite amazed at what can be captured if you are good enough and brave enough to almost point that small camera lens into peoples daily lives. I look at some of the photos and they start to raise questions? who are they, what are they doing, where are they going, why that look, do they know something............ that for me is the real skill of good street photography in that as well as capturing that glimpse into life on a macro scale it invokes thought and questions from the viewer. You can almost let your imagination run wild and make up a whole story from one well captured single photograph.




.......... So here is a picture........... what does it inspire in you, does it evoke any memories or raise any questions, what is happening in that snapshot of life?




Collaboratively we can write the story............ over to you!




2 comments:

  1. I'm trying my hand at street photography too, with mixed success. I think all small children like being carried by their parents. Makes them feel safe and protected. Also saves them walking too! I can't really remember being carried that much, although I suppose I must. The saddest thing for me is knowing that I'll never be able to carry my own kids, as my wife and I are not blessed that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing such honest emotion, it actually brings tears as I cannot imagine life without my children, my reasons to be. I can only admire you for being able to share such an emotional moment.

    I think this shot was a little too distant to be propper street photography, but that said the cafe in the background (which is the smallest cafe I have ever been in) is like someones living room and a real center of the community feel exists.

    It took me back to days as a young lad when I used to go on holiday with my Nana and Grandad up to the East Coast. We would alsways stop at a little cafe for lunch on the way (Tattersall) and they did just the best home cooked food and delicious milk shakes. Up until around ten years ago it was still open and I have been in on trips to the coast and it still evoked such fond memories of my Nana and Grandad not to mention daft things like Grandads old Robin Reliant which was the exact colour of Heinze tomato soup!

    To this day it is something I ensure we do as a family when heading up to the coast, that we visit a little old fashioned cafe on the way somewhere, they are so much nicer than the mass produced rubish that is served in some of the chain restraunts.

    Looking back again............. spotty sausage (thats Lincolnshire sausage to a four year old as I was when then phrase was coined) was always a winner with me, with anything...... veg gravy, chips......... basically anything as long as it was spotty sausage!

    Gosh the blog could divulge into some of the odd terms that we as kids termed for food / drink and still remember to this day. my sister when she was very small used drink gang gang juice and min min water! and my eldest son in a moment or pure chance asked for a drink of zukalade!

    It is really interestig how in our fast paced and money driven lives we allow our selves moments of reflection to those warm safe days of childhood where we had little worry and stress.

    ReplyDelete